Take your favourite Indian curry on the go with these mildly spiced hand pies that make a perfect school or work lunch. Flaky, half-moon pastries are stuffed with tender morsels of marinated chicken, smothered in fragrant, creamy sauce seasoned with a blend of ginger, garlic, garam masala and touch of lime juice.
Prep: 45 minutes
Total time: 3 hours
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
1 Tbsp lime juice
3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Butter Chicken Sauce
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp ginger, minced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 large tomato, grated
1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 10 in. x 10 in. sheets of store-bought, pre-rolled, frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg yolk
1 tsp water
1. To make the marinade combine yogurt, lime juice, garam masala, paprika, cumin and salt in a medium bowl. Add in chicken and stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add in ginger, garlic and onion. Stir while cooking until mixture is golden brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2. Add in chicken with marinade and cook until chicken is white and and almost cooked through, about 4 minutes.
3. Add in chickpeas, tomato, chili powder, salt, and garam masala and stir to combine.
4. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through and sauce begins to bind to chicken, about 8 minutes.
5. Stir in cream and cook until sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
1. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
2. To make the pies trace 4 circles, 5 inches in diameter, on a sheet of puff pastry. The circles will touch the edges of the dough sheet to ensure 4 equal circles. Using a paring knife, carefully cut out circles. Repeat with remaining sheet.
3. In a small bowl stir egg yolk with water.
4. Preheat oven to 375F. Place 3 tablespoons of cooled butter chicken in the center of a dough circle. Brush egg yolk mixture around the circumference of the dough. Fold the dough over filling to close into a semi circle Continue with remaining dough. Place hand pies on prepared baking sheets.
5. Remove hand pies from refrigerator. Cut 3 small slits on the top of each one. Lightly brush egg mixture over each hand pie and bake until golden brown and flakey, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.